HOUSTON (June 23 2015) – Olympic athletes, including Team USA Olympic weightlifters Kendrick Farris and WWE professional wrestler Mark Henry, will visit Houston on Tuesday, June 23, for an official Olympic Day celebration and 2015 International Weightlifting Federation World Championships sneak-preview presented by Harris County – Houston Sports Authority (“HCHSA”). The event will feature appearances by other Team USA Olympic athletes, including track and field’s Jackie Washington, Michelle Burrell, Eric Thomas and Derrick Brewster, speedskater Chad Paul Hedrick, gymnast Sean Townsend and boxer Raul Marquez.
The day will start with a 20-minute press conference with City and County proclamations, the mention of a legacy item being donated to the NFL YET 1 Center, and a special announcement in reference to the City of Houston and the Road to Rio.
Following the press conference there will be a Youth Weightlifting Clinic and sport demonstration for approximately 150 youth from the NFL YET 1 Center led by Mark Henry and Kendrick Farris. After the clinic, the children will have the opportunity to take pictures with the Olympians and participate in a special medal ceremony and luncheon provided by official United State Olympic Committee sponsor, BP, and HCHSA.
HCHSA is an official U.S. Olympic Committee Community Partner. Houston has the honor of working with the USOC and USA Weightlifting as the first U.S. city in nearly 40 years to host the International Weightlifting Federation World Championships in November, an Olympic qualifying event.
Share and follow Olympic Day excitement on social media with #OlympicDay and #HoustonIWF2015.
- Mark Henry, Two-time USA Weightlifting Olympian & WWE Pro Wrestler
- Kendrick Farris, USA Weightlifting Olympian
- Jackie Washington, USA Track & Field Olympian
- Michelle Burrell, USA Track & Field Olympian
- Derrick Brewster, USA Track & Field Olympian
- Eric Thomas, USA Track & Field Olympian
- Sean Townsend, USA Gymnastics Olympian
- Chad Paul Hedrick, Houston native and US Speedskating Olympian
- Raul Marquez, USA Boxing Olympian
- Harris County Commissioner El Franco Lee
- John L. Beaudion, Jr., Office of Commissioner Lee
- Approximately 150 Youth from the NFL YET 1 Center
- Other City Officials
WHAT: Visuals of the Olympic weightlifter and WWE professional athlete hosting a weightlifting clinic and demonstration, press conference and interview opportunities with U.S. Olympic athletes. Proclamation and special announcement by the USOC on a future event Houston has been awarded in reference to the Road to Rio.